Sunrise recognizes the special needs of people with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of memory impairments. Offering a fresh approach, we begin with understanding the stories and details of a senior's life so we can help them attain what we call "pleasant days." This means finding ways to involve residents in everyday activities they enjoy and can feel successful at, in specially designed surroundings that are both safe and stimulating.
Our Reminiscence Neighbourhoods are designed for seniors with mild or more advanced Alzheimer’s or other forms of memory loss. Through reminiscence (i.e., remembering the past) and multi-sensory experiences, we can take our residents on a soothing journey to a place in life that was comfortable and pleasant. Our Reminiscence Neighbourhoods provide a safe and stimulating environment for individuals to enjoy esteem-building activities.
Reminiscence Neighbourhood & Program Highlights
- Includes multi-sensory experiences, daily exercise, daily outings, group activities, the joy of pets, and regularly scheduled visits with children
- Our Individual Service Plan is based on private meetings prior to move-in and is based on each resident's unique life history, and is sensitive to their own personal journey
- Using Life Skill centers and Reminiscence kits, our team involves residents in daily routines, such as gardening, sewing, infant care, office work and household chores.
- Dining ensures proper nutrition with three, delicious, well-balanced meals and healthy snacks
- Hydration program encourages the consumption of water and juices six times a day to minimize illness and infection
- Initial and ongoing family partnership is encouraged
- Active volunteer programs further encourage family involvement
- Our team is extensively trained in disease processes through Sunrise University
- Caring professionals are dedicated to maintaining the dignity and individuality of every resident
Services and Amenities
- Therapeutic activities and specially trained staff to meet the unique needs of residents
- Living spaces designed to help residents function as independently as possible
- Private or companion suites with a choice of floor plans, comfortable quality furnishings and artwork
- Emergency call response system in each suite
- Variety of comfortable community areas including elegant community dining room, private dining room for family or guests, 24-hour cafe, sunroom and media, television and living room areas
- Beautifully manicured and maintained landscaping, gardens and grounds
- Secure outdoor terrace
- Fire safety system
- Full service housekeeping and laundry
- Social, educational, devotional and recreational programs
- Concierge services
- Trained staff available 24 hours a day
- Monthly wellness visits by a licensed nurse
- On-site hair salon and barber shop
Resource Library & Seminars
For the family and friends of residents with Alzheimer’s disease, and for the general public, Sunrise offers a comprehensive resource library and educational seminars on the care of those with memory impairments and the needs of the caregiver. An active volunteer program encourages family involvement in the residents' lives. In addition, each Sunrise runs a support group facilitated by a trained leader.